Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ok

I don't know if I want to do this anymore. Every time I look at this blog all I see is how much of a bitter douchebag I really am. It's depressing.
If I am to have a shot at self delusion, this blog cannot be.
Anyhows, I think I'm going to drop the Perez Hilton crap and focus on technical documentation and general captain's-log-type comments.
Back to business:
I fiddled around with the system time incompatibilities between linux, osx and windows agian. I now understand it fully, though I have no solution.
Windows uses local time, Ubuntu has an option, and I believe is smart enough to default to local time if it recognizes the windows system as present, which it does. OSX on the other hand is hardcoded to UTC time, and currently increments my bios time in 8 hours every time I boot to it through grub. It's funny that people say with a straight face that OSX is more secure.
Every 3 year old could break that system. It's as easy as installing an unsupported driver. Every driver conflict in OSX causes kernel panic, and your system won't boot until you delete one of the conflicts and reset permissions from terminal boot option.
This is because macs aren't designed to switch hardware during their lifetime, so the OS just breaks on hardware conflicts. Evidently, Apple never found it fitting to design an effective fallback mechanism.
I also find it amusing, while reading the Objective-C tutorials, that macs come with a single-button mouse and an OS designed for right-click functionality. To access the right-click menu you need to press alt click or something. Why use 2 buttons with one hand when you can use a key AND a button with two. I'll try to remember that when i'm designing interfaces. Perhaps the general idea is to keep your limbs excercised to make you a better looking mac person.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you are writing. Not the geeky computers shit because i don't understand anything about computers but you WILL be a douchebag if you'll stop. And i won't let you be the doctor next time we'll play.

    ReplyDelete