Friday, January 08, 2010

new blog ~!

I was about to start this blog with the line "Hopefully, this blog is Googleable..." and then I realized the almost unforgiveable offense I was about to make. Instead, I will merely hope, half heartedly, that this blog is indeed Googleable so that i may use it for documenting installation processes of new hardware/software and minor fixes that i typically deem too simple to be worthy of documentation and later regret not having done so.

A little background for the unsuspecting reader:

Canadian as I may be, I've spent a meager 13% of my life on this continent.
Consequently, English is not my native tongue, nor is it the one I'm most comfortable with.
I don't like paragraphs and capitalizaions, and you would likely find that i sometimes forget to capitalize the I in a sentence. Though i appreciate the language, and frequently find myself reading English litterature, its exceptional nature has not escaped me.
I find that i more respect rules encapsulating common sense, than those based on nothing more than tradition. For example, if i were to walk on a deserted street at 4 in the morning, I would not likely wait for the light to turn green before crossing.
Tradition aims to bypass decision making but can never quite replace common sense.

From a linguistic perspective, being that my native tongue is Hebrew. I am used to a language structure in which everything is pronounced as written. But... (ho ho! my very own But sentence) it has its fair share of excpetion handling. For instance, in Hebrew, every object has a gender reference. There is no neutral "It".
I often wonder how newcomers to the language master the art of figuring out the gender of every single object in the universe, and though there are distinct patterns, having to do with certain letter-sequences, there remain a great many exceptional cases one must memorize.
It is also fascinating to note the typical errors people of a foreign culture make when importing their thoughts into another language, and equally, if not more so fascinating to note the reaction of the natives to the unavoidable flawed result. What i find, personally, and i am sure i'm not alone in this, is that the linguistic difference and traditional litterary influence affects the way we formulate thoughts and the way we express ourselves. Thus, with those grammatic errors, something else transcends the import process, and a careful reader will detect the positive exotic contribution rather than linger on grammatic flaws.

What else is there to say about me... I, like Hemingway, must work very hard to attain something very simple, though it is always what i strive for. And often, I delete and rewrite before i am content with the final outcome. I am comforted by the thought that the process itself, fake though it may seem, serves to inspire me into a state of sincerity, and thus it isn't as fake after all.

I think this is enough for an introduction.
Till the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment