Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Ah, i found a way to connect names to blogs to emails.
It's called the history option on Ted's wiki page. Combine that with facebook and you have a mugshot for every name and email in the class, most of them anyway. If i didn't have that 471 assignment due, i'd make a webcrawler that gives me a best estimate of what everyone looks like.

Too bad I don't have a day to do it in. Could be an interesting data mining project. What can you get on a person given their name and email. Sound like my next mid-semester project.
After I finish the auto-pirate, anyway, which only needs about 4 days work i estimate. 4 days I don't have.

Also, I got an interview with SAP for the localization engineer position.

I have no idea what that means.
I'm assuming it means a technical installer, like Chuck, but I hope it means more.
Anyhows, I can't be picky, this is my first co-op and I've only been approved for coop applications this saturday.
I've already missed out on all the big companies.


By the way, writing cover letters is excruciatingly annoying.
I haven't done this much brown-nosing in years.


On another note: It's funny, one of our bloggers wrote "It rained in torrents" and naturally my mind misrouted the ambiguous intention of this simple senetence. How would a syntax recognizer become aware of dynamic changes to a language. How do we formally acknowledge when a word like torrent gains a new meaning in a technical context? We can either receive the definition statically by reading or hearing about it, or we can infer it by first experiencing a translation conflict, where what we think it means becomes inconsistent with an external response, then we research actively about it, or become more aware of future conflicts containing that word.
Then finally we redefine an ambiguous definition.
Which leads to another problem: How do you decide among ambiguous definitions.

To make a thinking robot, a robot you must become.

No comments:

Post a Comment