Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Phase III : Revenge of the bunny.

The theme for today is the ingredients of poor education.
What better fitting time for this topic than Easter itself.

I found myself watching the Frame channel, which typically shows still frames, but diversifies itself to other curiousities during festivities. This time it was a bunch of rabbits sitting around surrounded by colored eggs. I watched it with my roommate and we laughed. We laughed at the thought of there being someone whose job title is "Head of programming" for the Frame channel. And better yet, imagine the person whose job it is to set up those bunnies with the eggs, and edit those frames.
There was nothing else to do. We had to laugh like hell.

Every year I ask myself how does something so stupid survive this long. Rabbits that lay eggs.
And what's it got to do with Christianity?

Finally I came up with a reasonable theory:

Jesus was killed by rabbits.
Christianity hatched out of the death of jesus and gnawed upon its remains to sustain itself.
Therefore, rabbits gave birth to christianity.

But what came first, the rabbit or the egg?

Yeah, Easter is pretty damn stupid.

Touching on another point of poor education:

I think our application looks pretty polished.
Thank you imaginary rabbit for giving me the time I needed to update the user interface.

Phase 3 was pretty much me.

For about a week now I've been the only one committing updates.
Steve hasn't done shit as usual, and feature deadline is tomorrow.
I took it upon myself to complete two out of his three assigned tasks. But I don't think I have the time to learn enough of OpenGL ES by tomorrow evening, so sadly our application will be lacking in awesome animation. Rotation, scaling and relocation is about as animated as it gets. Flashing labels and such. no particle animation... and thank you steve for that.

I think i'm going to crucify him in tomorrow's meeting. It's Easter after all.

I'm jealous of the other groups...

Every time I sit in the computer labs I see them work on their projects together for HOURS.
And our group?
Our group meets twice a week, at best, for 10 minutes at a time.
I've seen better group dynamics on Celebrity Apprentice.

And to think I actually considered taking this course without a Hackbook.
"Noooo! of course you don't NEED a Mac, you won't be the only member of the team you know. There'll be plenty of documentation to do. You could let your teammates do the programming!"
Yeah. That's the attitude I'm expected to adopt: "Let others carry the heavy load."
Great lesson there, Herbert.

Same instructor as last term. I desperately tried to convince him to allow me to develop for the Android instead, but clearly this is about iPhones, not mobile development. I dropped that course within the first week after failing to install OSX on my Ttoshiba.

I had 4 days to do it before the drop deadline.
I got it working on the 5th.

I was pretty pissed at him for that. If I had known beforehand that this course required a Mac, I'd have been prepared. I'd have done it over the pre-semester break.
He even encouraged me to drop the course, saying maybe next term it would be someone else doing it.

(he's been doing this course for about 4 semesters straight, so i assume he knew he'd be doing it the following term as well. that was a straight lie.)

So I did drop it, only to take it again this term. Because honestly, I have no desire to develop for Apple.

Anyways, the result was fruitless. The following term it was Herbert again, and iPhones on the menu.
Good thing I got OSX to work.
I shudder at the thought of where our group would be at this point without my contribution.

This isn't a point of pride, oh no.
This is anger.
This is the stuff bitterness is made of.
The disappointment of another group project that failed to reach even an inkling of its potential.
Another group of people that failed to communicate over something so very simple.

But today I'm happy. I'm happy because it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment